Divan beds are a simple way to get the most out of your bedroom, offering a flexible choice when it comes to storage and making use of space.
Make sure you’re making the most of your room by choosing the right bed.
What is a divan bed?
Divan beds are much like standard, platform, or sprung beds, but instead of consisting of two separate components (the mattress and the base), they are merged together into a single unit.
The base is usually made from wood with metal legs that lift it off the floor, while a mattress is placed on top. Because they combine both pieces, divan beds have a lot more storage space than the average bed.
Divan Bed Sizes
- Small single divan bed: 2 ft 3 in x 6 ft – this is suitable for use as a single guest bed in a bedroom or an additional spare bed.
- Small double divan bed: 4 ft 6 in x 6 ft – this is a standard double guest bed or can be used as a second bed in another room.
- King-size divan bed: 5 ft x 6ft 6″ – this is a standard king-size bed that can be used as a master bedroom bed or to provide an additional bed.
- Super king-size divan bed: 6ft (180cm) x 6ft6″ (200cm) – this is a larger bed that can be used as a master bedroom bed or to provide an additional bed.
The importance of buying the right divan bed
Choosing the right divan bed is essential for a great night’s sleep.
If you don’t choose your divan base carefully, it could affect how well the mattress performs.
For example, if a divan doesn’t offer enough support in key areas (such as along the edges), then it can reduce airflow and cause problems when you’re sleeping, leading to a restless night.
Benefits of Divan Beds
- Simple to make up – Many divan beds are available with a choice of mattress, so you can pick the one that’s perfect for you.
- Offers extra storage space – There’s an increased storage space under a divan bed because it merges both the mattress and the bed base into one unit. For example, storage drawers can be placed under the base, making it ideal for smaller bedrooms.
- Flexible – You can choose both your mattress and divan bed separately, so you can pick a divan that complements your existing mattress or vice versa.
- Usually sold separately – You’ll need to purchase both the mattress and divan base separately, which can be more expensive than a standard bed.
- It can be difficult to move upstairs – Because they are sold as two separate components, you will usually have to pass your divan up or downstairs (depending on which way it is facing), which can be a difficult task. If possible, ask the retailer about this at the time of purchase, or clarify which way it is facing beforehand.
How much do divans cost?
Divan beds can cost anywhere between £200 and £1500+ depending on the size, material used, manufacturer, and design style.
As a guide, you should expect to pay around £400 for a standard divan bed with a basic base and mattress. For something of higher quality, you can expect to pay anything up to £1500.
Types of divan beds
- Standard – This is the most common type of divan, which comes with a standard, flat base and mattress.
- Ottoman – An ottoman storage divan bed features a large drawer or storage ottoman at the end of the base, allowing you to store clothes or other items in an easy-to-access space.
- Storage – This bed features a storage drawer at the end of the base, which can be used to store spare clothes, toys, shoes, and more.
- Guest – A guest divan bed can be used as an additional spare bed in a bedroom or for occasionally sleepover guests. It’s a smaller size than the average double bed.
Material Used in Divan Beds
- Fabric – This is the most common material used for bases, and it’s usually made from cotton or wool. These bases tend to be more expensive than wooden ones, but they’re solid and durable. They also don’t feel too cold during colder weather, making them great for the winter months.
- Wood – This type of base is usually made from various types of hardwood (such as oak) and can either be painted or left untreated. It’s also a good choice if you have wooden flooring because it’s more likely to match the color perfectly.
- Leather – The most expensive type of divan is made from leather, which is also a popular choice among professional furniture designers. Leather beds usually come with handles or storage compartments and feel much more luxurious than fabric or wooden.
- Metal – If you’re looking for a strong yet lightweight base, metal might be the best option. This bed is usually made from aluminum or steel, making it compact enough to move around easily.
- Faux leather – This fabric looks and feels like real leather but only costs a fraction of the price. It’s more popular among customers on a budget and tends to be less durable than real leather.
- Faux suede – A faux suede bed is made from various materials which look and feel similar to real suede. These bases are usually less expensive than genuine leather ones, but they don’t last as long. They also tend to be more comfortable than crushed velvet because the fabric isn’t quite so thick.
- Polyurethane – This type of bed is made from a synthetic fiber known as polyurethane and doesn’t have the luxurious look of genuine leather. However, it’s more affordable than most other types of divan base and tends to be extremely hardwearing.
Crushed Velvet Divan Bases
Crushed velvet is an upholstery fabric with a textured surface that feels soft and velvety to touch. It comes in various colors and can be used on beds, headboards, and other home furniture pieces.
Crushed velvet ottomans are trendy because they add an opulent feel to bedrooms and are very comfortable to rest on.
Faux Leather Divan Bases
“faux leather” covers various fabric bases made from artificial and plastic materials rather than genuine animal hide.
The production process for faux leather involves compressing different layers of material into one single sheet or slab, but it still looks very similar to real leather.
Memory Foam Divan Beds
One of the most popular types of divan beds is a memory foam base. These divan beds are very comfortable to lie on and can be used for normal purposes and health-related applications such as pain relief.
Memory foam bases come in all shapes and sizes, including depth, width, and height.
Pocket Sprung Divans
Pocket sprung divan beds are the most popular type of all ottoman and divan beds. This is because they provide a comfortable sleeping surface that forms the shape of your body and offer great support in any position.
Pocket sprung mattresses are also very durable, long-lasting, and easy to clean.
Open Spring Divan Beds
An open spring divan bed features individually sprung mattresses, and each of these coils is connected to the others by a metal rod.
The most common types are flat springs which can be opened up to provide more support than memory foam.
Open sprung beds are suitable for any sleeper because they’re responsive yet supportive in equal measures.
Orthopaedic Divan Beds
An orthopedic bed has been specially designed for people who suffer from back pain or other medical conditions.
This type of divan base uses very thick and tall springs and more layers of padding to provide maximum support and comfort.
Does a divan bed come with a mattress?
A standard divan base doesn’t include a mattress, but it can be added as an optional extra.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one bed solution to combine both products, we have a huge range of divan beds with mattresses available.
Divan Bed Mattress Sizes
The standard size for a divan mattress is 3′ wide x 6′ long, but we offer them in all other sizes. If you’re looking for something even smaller such as a 2’6″ double, then the range of low-profile beds might be more suitable.
What type of base material do I need?
This mainly comes down to personal preference because all of the different ottoman bases we sell feel similar in terms of comfort.
However, you might consider aspects such as budget and durability when choosing between an artificial leather or faux suede cover or a crushed velvet design.
How much storage space do I need?
This is a critical point because most people who buy ottoman beds do so for more practical reasons. We recommend opting for a divan bed with storage options such as drawers, shelves, or even a full-length drawer at the foot of the bed.
If you’re purchasing a bed with a mattress, then look for one with a large drawer that’s big enough to accommodate it.
Is a storage divan bed worth the extra cost?
The main benefit of a storage bed is that it offers much additional space for your things.
This means you can keep clothes, items such as shoes, and other personal belongings in drawers beneath the base, which reduces clutter around the bedroom.
Storage bases are also efficient for people who like to travel to surrounding areas, such as the UK.
Do divan beds break easily??
A divan bed is fairly sturdy and isn’t likely to break during everyday use.
However, if you’re considering buying one secondhand, there are certain things to look out for, such as broken hinges or damaged legs.
These minor problems can be fixed relatively cheaply, but it’s always best to check them before purchasing.
How much does delivery cost?
Divan beds and ottoman bases can be quite heavy, so it’s best to opt for a no-frills service such as TNT rather than an expensive next-day delivery.
That way, your new bed will reach you in perfect condition at the lowest possible price.
In addition, we provide several options for home delivery, including regular and express options and an assembly on request.
How long does it take for a divan bed to become more comfortable?
Divan beds tend to be firm and supportive when new, but they become much softer as you use them.
This is because the springs inside them begin to wear down from constant contact with your body weight.
If you want to speed up this process, try turning around the base once a month to even out any wear and tear.
Divan Bed Frames
A divan bed frame is another term for an ottoman base.
They are two words that describe the same thing: a conventional bed design with support structures and a gap between where you put your mattress.
CHEAP DIVAN BEDS
A wide range of cheap divan bases and ottoman beds are available, but they’re not always the best choice for everyone.
If you need additional comfort and support while sleeping, we recommend opting for an orthopedic mattress instead.
They’re more expensive than standard types, but they provide better support for your spine, hips, and joints.
Tips for buying a divan bed
- Measure the size of your room before you go shopping, as some types of divan bases (such as ottomans) can take up a lot of floor space.
- If you’re struggling to lift the divan up or downstairs, ask the retailer if it can be split into two units for easier transportation. You should also check how heavy each unit is before committing to a purchase.
- Some divans come with wheels which allows you to move them around easily. Other castors need to be lifted when you want to move the divan, so check how this works before buying and if a castor can be removed if required.
- As well as choosing your mattress first, it would help if you also asked about other products compatible with (such as duvets). A lot of divans come in smaller sizes which may limit what you can use them for.
- Ensure that your order is subject to any surcharges before buying; delivery and installation fees are common in divan bed deliveries.
Is a divan bed right for me?
A divan bed is ideal if you’re looking for a sturdy, contemporary base or are on a budget.
They tend to be more expensive than standard beds, but they can often have drawers or additional space underneath the base (some even come with lift-up lids), which could justify the extra expense.
The alternative to a divan bed is a platform bed. Platform beds consist of a flat base (usually plywood) raised off the floor, making it easier to store things underneath.
However, you will need to place your mattress directly onto the frame, and some people find this uncomfortable or restrictive because it prevents airflow around the mattress.
Overall, a divan bed is a modest investment compared to most other types of beds, giving you long-lasting support and comfort while providing many features such as extra space or even an adjustable headboard.
If you’re looking for a cheap way to improve the look of your bedroom, then it’s definitely worth considering.