Small double beds have become ever popular in the last few years. They are a great alternative to a larger king-size bed that dominates some rooms, and they also generally occupy less floor space.
This is of course can make them better for those with limited space, but it also means that you can get more storage, as well as improved aesthetics – because let’s face it; a king-size bed in a room is just tacky.
What is the size?
Small double beds are around 4ft 6 inches to 5ft in length. This makes them slightly shorter than standard king-size beds which are around 4ft 9inches to 6ft.
It also makes them a bit longer than single beds which tend to be no more than 3ft 6in in length, so if you plan on sharing your bed with someone (or you’re a bit of a ‘wild child’), then you’ll probably prefer the longer length.
If you need an exact measurement, whether it’s for pricing or more specific sizing, make sure that you ask before buying.
Many retailers now list the width and length of their beds on their websites, so this should only take a few minutes even if you’re not very good with measurements.
What mattress size does a small double bed need?
Like most beds, the width of the mattress should be the same as the length of the bed – so, in this case, a 4ft 6in or 5ft mattress will fit perfectly on this bed.
Now, you may think that a mattress this size is too small for two adults, but it’s generally the width rather than the length that makes a bed comfortable to sleep on.
Though obviously, most people will want some extra space in their bed so they can stretch out without falling off (unfortunately there is no size chart for this), and also so two sleepers don’t feel too cramped when they’re sharing the bed, a twin/small double mattress can be just as comfortable for two people as a king size.
How much does a small double bed cost?
It may not be the cheapest option, but small double beds are still far cheaper than most king-size beds. This is because they’re generally less popular and well…just smaller. For example, an average 4ft 6in bed with a 3ft 6in storage base might sell on some sites for around £400-£500, whereas a king-size bed with the same storage base is likely to be closer to £800-£1000.
If you’re choosing a small bed for your child then obviously this price difference isn’t going to be important, but if they’ve outgrown it as an adult it only takes a few seconds to change from one-bed size to another – so you won’t be wasting money.
What are the different types of small double beds?
When you’re choosing what type of bed to buy, don’t worry if you don’t know the specific names of the various styles. In most cases, you can just ask for a small double bed and leave it at that – as long as they know how big it needs to be and the length and width measurements are correct then there shouldn’t be any problems.
However, if you want to know what type of bed you should be looking for, here are some examples that may help:
- Metal beds – Everyday frames with a low foot end – great for those who like the look of a traditional bed but don’t really need all the space in king size. There are also variations of wooden, fabric, and leather upholstery.
- Divan beds – A divan bed is a great way to get some additional storage space as well as an attractive piece of furniture. They can have drawers or they can be used with other pieces of furniture such as wardrobes and chests of drawers, and they can be placed underneath a bed frame or used as part of a bed base so that the mattress sits directly on top of it.
- Wooden beds – They are becoming increasingly popular because they’re simple yet stylish, and there are many to choose from. So whether you like the look of reclaimed wood, whitewash, or painted finishes, you’ll be able to find a small double bed that suits your taste.
- Fabric beds – Fabric beds are very much like wooden beds, though they’re generally made of leather with a solid frame underneath. This makes them great for combining comfort and style within the same structure.
- Upholstered beds – Upholstered beds are also a popular choice, mainly because they’re available in all kinds of different colours and fabrics that can completely change the look of your room. They also come with metallic or wooden frames and often have fabric-upholstered headboards, and this particular style is especially good for those who prefer firm mattresses.
- Leather beds – Leather beds are the most luxurious and expensive type of small double bed. They look great, they can be very comfortable and they’re easy to maintain. Though just like upholstered beds, you have a lot of choices when it comes to colour and fabric on these kinds of beds as well; so if you want something that screams luxury at your guests, you’ll find it here.
Small Double Bunk Beds
If you want a bed that really saves space, then a set of bunk beds is definitely the way to go.
- They’re perfect for small rooms or even children’s bedrooms, as they not only provide more sleeping options but also give kids a lot of fun.
- If your child already has their own furniture and you’re looking for something to make their bedroom more exciting, bunk beds are the answer.
Small Double Storage Beds
There are so many different types of small double beds that include storage in their design that it’s easy to forget how useful they can be for saving space.
- Not only do these kinds of beds provide lots of extra storage space underneath, but they also keep the room looking tidy and neat – and who wouldn’t want a bedroom like that?
- A bed with storage will take up slightly more space than a bed without, but in every other way it’s just like a normal small double, and that means you’ll get the maximum amount of comfort and the perfect night’s sleep on these kinds of beds.
Small Double Kids Beds
Not only do kids love anything that’s new and exciting; but children also grow up quickly, and it won’t be long before a single bed is too small for them.
- When your child needs something bigger, you can choose from a wide range of modern kids’ beds to give them the perfect sleeping space they need.
- Choosing the right type of small double bed for your child’s room is easy, and there are all sorts of different styles available.
- If you have a son, then wooden beds with car designs look stylish and cool; whereas girls will love the choice of fabric or upholstered beds in pink, purple, or any other colour they like.
- And if you want a bunk bed for your kids, that’s available too; and there are even plenty of fun designs to choose from so they won’t be disappointed.
Small Double Futons
A futon is a Japanese bed frame that’s traditionally made from wood and cotton.
- It has a very simple design.
- However, they’re now available to buy in all kinds of different styles and material, which means you can get one for your bedroom regardless of the existing decor or colour scheme.
Small Double Guest Beds, Day Beds, and Folding Beds
If you regularly have overnight guests, then a small double guest bed will make life much easier.
- These kinds of beds aren’t just for the company though; they’re also very useful for those times when family members or friends come to stay.
- Not only do they provide more sleeping options, but they can be folded away into the wall so there’s no need to worry about where everyone’s going to sleep.
Small Double Frames
Many beds come with a metal or wooden frame that gives them their shape and support; but if you want something different, then choosing a bed with an unusual frame can change the look of your room dramatically.
This is also a great choice for those who prefer to buy new bedding and don’t like the idea of buying a matched set; because with beds with unusual frames, you can choose your own mattress for ultimate comfort.
Small Double Headboards
The headboard is not just for decoration; it is also useful for providing extra support to pillows at night, which is why some people find them more comfortable to sleep on. However, it is mainly used as a means of making the bed look more stylish and adding interest to the room.
Small Double Mattresses
A double mattress is necessary for those people who want extra-large sleeping space, but it’s also very important for couples because it provides a heightened level of comfort and support. When it comes to choosing your mattress, you can’t go wrong with the tried and tested designs made from memory foam, latex, or pocket springs.
What size is a small double mattress?
A small double mattress is normally a 4ft wide bed, but it’s also available in many different sizes; including 3ft 6in and 4ft 6in. It’s important to remember that you should always measure the width of your room before making any buying decisions about a new bed; because if you don’t leave enough space for it, then it could ruin the look of your bedroom.
Can a small double mattress fit two adults?
If you and your partner are on the larger side, then it’s always a good idea to measure your beds before buying them. However, most small double mattresses are big enough to provide extra space for two adults; although when it comes to comfort, there’s no substitute for size.
Can a small double mattress fit on a double bed?
Most small double mattresses will fit on a standard double bed because the base is normally 4ft wide. However, there are lots of different types available; including futons that can be laid out flat and wooden frames that provide more support.
You should also check what size mattress you’ll need for your duvet and pillows before making any decisions; because although a small double mattress should fit with minor adjustments, it’s always good to have space to stretch out.
What are the best small double beds?
As with all styles of bed, there is always some chance for variation and you can find lots of different styles available when it comes to the popular choice of a double bed. For example, if you don’t have a lot of space you might want a divan bed that offers maximum storage whilst keeping slimline.
Or perhaps you would prefer a sleigh design to give your bedroom an air of elegance and luxury, or possibly a storage bed might be more suited to your design style? These are all choices you need to make before purchasing, but it’s important to remember that the only real difference between king-size beds and small double (twin) beds is the length.
You can use all of our mattress size charts to find the perfect fitted bed sheets and mattress protectors for your new small double bed, or you can take a look at our most popular bedding collections that are suitable for standard king size.
Remember, if you want a new bed, but don’t like the idea of buying it with a metal or wooden frame, then choosing a small double futon can be an excellent alternative.
They’re not just great for those with limited budgets; they’re also ideal if you prefer to decorate using unusual bedding and soft furnishings that you can buy separately. For more information about small double beds, head over to: